France-Atlanta 2018 | Humanitarian Events [fr]
Atlanta is home to a number of humanitarian organizations, making it a cradle of aide work that is carried out across the globe. From the Carter Center to CARE, some of the United States’ best-known NGOs and nonprofits are based here. The French Consulate General has organized two humanitarian events as part of France-Atlanta 2018.
- Humanitarian Forum: Gender-based Violence in Emergency Settings
- The year 2018 has been filled with news about sexual abuse and female solidarity in the United States, which inspired this year’s humanitarian forum on gender-based violence in emergency settings, which is co-organized with Emory University.
- The forum includes two panels: “When #MeToo Meets War” and “Hidden Emergency: Sex Trafficking From Conflict Zones to Atlanta.” Atlanta is a major hub for sex trafficking in America, with women transported through Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world’s business airport. Jan Lennon, the airport’s director of security, will share some of the innovative ways the airport is working to combat sex trafficking. Meanwhile, CNN International VP and General Manager Mike McCarthy talks about his work overseeing The Freedom Project, CNN’s program to expose the horrors of modern-day slavery, including sex trafficking. Experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Emory University will also speak at the forum.
- This forum takes place Friday, October 19, 3:30 p.m. To register, click here.
- Education Series: Presentations on Humanitarian Work in the Francophone World
- Humanitarian workers from Atlanta’s abundance of nonprofits and NGOs talk with local high school and university students about the work they do and how they use the French language in their jobs. The representatives come from organizations such as the Carter Center and Peace Corps and work with the world’s many francophone regions, from the Caribbean, to West and North Africa, to parts of Asia.
- If you are a humanitarian worker interested in giving a presentation or a French teacher interested in having a speaker in your classroom, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The education series takes place in classrooms across Atlanta from October 24-November 6.
We hope to see you at this year’s humanitarian activities! To check out the other France-Atlanta 2018 events, click here.